Don’t Be a Victim Essential Home Security Measures You Need to Know
According to the FBI, burglary accounts for approximately 17% of all property crimes reported in 2019. With these startling statistics, it’s more important than ever to protect your home from intruders and burglars. Taking steps to secure your home can help deter criminals from attempting theft or other crime.
In this article, we will discuss the importance of taking measures to protect your home and provide valuable tips on how to keep your home safe. We will also cover the various types of home security systems, locks, and other measures that can help to increase your safety.
Assessing Home Security Risks
The first step in protecting your home is to assess the security risks. When assessing your home security risks, look at the external doors, windows, and other access points. Check to see if they are equipped with strong locks, or if there is any easy way for a criminal to gain entry.
You can also assess the visibility from the outside. Are there any large bushes or trees that can provide cover for an intruder? If so, consider trimming them back and adding motion-sensing lights to deter criminals.
Home Security Measures You Can Take
It is essential to take proper measures to secure your home from intruders and burglars. Here are a few steps you can take:
- Install a Security System– Installing an alarm system with sensors on the doors and windows can help to alert authorities in the event of a breach. It also serves as a deterrent for criminals since it increases the chances of being caught.
- Add Locks on Windows and Doors– Even if you have an alarm system, adding locks on windows and doors provides an extra layer of security. Make sure to use quality locks with deadbolts for maximum protection. You can also install smart locks that allow you to control access remotely or with a code.
- Use Motion-Sensing Lights– Installing motion-sensing lights around the perimeter of your home can help to deter criminals by making them visible and alerting you if someone is attempting to enter your property.
- Set up Video Surveillance– With video surveillance, you can monitor your property remotely using a smartphone or computer. This can also help to deter criminals, as they will know that their actions are being recorded.
- Invest in a Smart Safe– Installing a smart safe can help to protect valuable items such as jewelry and documents from intruders. A smart safe allows you to control access remotely or with a code and is an excellent way to keep your valuables safe.
- Utilize Technology– There are many security systems available that utilize the latest technology to keep your home safe. These systems often come with features such as facial recognition, voice activation, and even artificial intelligence to help you monitor your property from anywhere.
These are just a few of the measures you can take to increase your home security. Taking steps to secure your home is essential in helping to reduce the risk of becoming a victim of theft or other crimes.
Securing Your Home While You’re Away
When you’re away from home for an extended period, it is even more important to ensure that your property is secure. Always make sure to lock all external doors and windows and consider investing in a home security system with a monitoring service while you’re gone. You can also install lights on timers so that it appears as if someone is at home.
If you have a pet, consider hiring a pet sitter to keep an eye on your home and make sure that the animal is taken care of. You can also set up video surveillance so you can monitor your property remotely while you’re away.
Now that you know some of the essential steps to take to protect your home from intruders and burglars, you can feel more secure in your property. Remember that criminals are always looking for an opportunity and taking proper measures can help deter them from entering your home. By following these tips, you will be able to enjoy peace of mind knowing that your home is secure.