If you don’t have naturally long hair or can’t wait to grow out, extensions are an easy method to add length and volume to your locks. Clip-ins are one of the most popular extension types available today.
It’s quick, easy, and affordable to use. You can attach clip in extensions in just a few minutes, and then you don’t have to worry about them for another few months.
But how long do clip-in extensions last and what is the best way to care for them? The following guide covers all of these details, plus much more!
How Long Do Clip-in Hair Extensions Last?
According to the latest statistics, hair extensions are in high demand in the US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, and Italy.
Clip-in extensions come in various colors and lengths, so you can choose whatever style suits you. There are two different types of clip-ins: pre-taped and without pre-taped.
The pre-taped extensions are slightly more expensive, but they last longer. They attach with a stronger adhesive to stay in place longer, and the stitches used for taping are less noticeable.
On the other hand, those without pre-tape do not last long because you have to clip them onto your hair instead of taping and holding them in place.
Putting on Clip-in Extensions
You must put your hair into a ponytail before attaching the extensions. It is necessary to do because it gives you support to hold on while putting them on and secures the hair so that it doesn’t move around too much.
It’s also a wise option to attach a piece of lace or fabric over your head to avoid getting any adhesive on your skin. You should use a towel or old pillowcase to cover the back of your neck if you have long hair, so you don’t get it stuck in the adhesive.
The most important factor is to make sure you pull your natural hair tightly so that the clips have something to grasp. You can then adjust the hair on the top of your head so it looks more natural.
Holding the four clips in one hand, take a small strand from each clip and place them on top of each other. It will be a little harder if you have thin hair because the extensions may slide off. You must use a fine-toothed comb to help hold them together and then clip the extensions into place.
You’ll know if you did it correctly by looking at your hair from the front. You should be able to see the top layer of your hair sticking out while the rest of your hair faces forward. If you find any difference between the top and bottom layers, you did it wrong and need to try again.
Caring for Clip-in Extensions
Clip-in extensions come with a care guide, so read this carefully before you do anything.
- You can shampoo and condition them just like you would do your hair. You have to use warm water and stay away from the clips. They only need to be shampooed once a week.
- Keep them clean with a special brush or comb that can get through all of those tiny hairs. It will help to reduce the risk of knotting and tangling and get rid of dirt and debris.
It’s important to avoid brushing the extensions when they are wet because this can cause the clips to come loose. Instead, you can use a wide-tooth comb or pick to untangle your hair first.
- While applying heat, it should be at least two inches away from the extensions and use medium heat. You should never use high or extra-high heat because this can harm your clips.
- If you get any adhesive residue on the extensions, it’s essential to clean this off right away with a special cleanser designed for clipping in. It also helps to remove the lint and dust from regular shampooing.
- You can re-use your clip-in extensions if they are still in good condition. However, the hair will not look the same as before because of some wear and tear.
- You can straighten, curl, dye, or wash them just like your own hair. It’s better to do this by using a professional tool with low heat settings. If you use more intense tools (such as a curling iron), be sure it should be at least two inches away from the extensions and use heat protection first.
Clip-in extensions are one of the most affordable and convenient ways to add length, volume, and color to your hair. Thus, before using them be sure that you know how long they will last (i.e. typically around three months) and what precautions to take, and you will have beautiful hair in no time at all!