Mothers usually think that their milk supply is low. However, in reality, in most cases it is fine. If your baby is gaining weight on breast milk only, then you don’t need to worry about milk supply. You need to worry about your milk supply if your baby is not gaining enough weight. In this case, you should increase milk supply fast. In this article, we are going to give you some tips which will help you in dealing with a low milk supply.
Cases Of Low Milk Supply
- Supplementing: Nursing is a very demanding process. Your body will produce the milk according to your baby’s needs. If your baby is taking energy from other sources like juice, then your body will think that it needs to produce less milk.
- Pacifiers: Sometimes your baby latch can be affected by pacifiers. This will reduce the time your baby spends at your breast.
- Sleepy baby: Sometimes your baby can be very sleepy. They will ask to nurse infrequently. Due to this, your body will think that it needs to produce less milk.
- Offering only one breast: This will work if you have a good milk supply. However, this is not advisable when your baby is not gaining enough weight. You should first let your baby finish at the first speed. After that, you can offer the other side.
- Mom’s health: Your own health condition can also affect your milk supply. This can happen due to previous breast surgery or injury. Sometimes hormonal problems can also reduce your milk supply. If you are a regular smoker, then you should consider smoking as it affects milk supply.
How To Increase Your Milk Supply?
Milk supply is a demand and supply process. You can remove milk artificially from your breast. This will ensure that less milk will accumulate in your breast between feedings. Thus, your breast will produce more milk. You can follow these tips for increasing your milk supply:
- You should nurse frequently. Also, you should nurse for as long as your baby wants. If you want your breast to produce more milk, then you need to focus on increasing the demand. Your baby should drink as much milk as he can. Try to nurse at least every 2 hours in the day and 3 hours at night.
- You can take your baby to bed with you and nurse him for the entire night. This will quickly increase the demand.
- You should offer both breasts to your baby.
- You should give only breastmilk to your baby. If your babies are drinking water or juice, then they won’t feel hungry. Thus, you should remove supplements from their diet.
- You should try to focus on your health also. If you are a regular smoker, then you should consult a doctor and quit smoking. Smoking can reduce your milk supply. Thus, it is very important to ensure that you are fit.
- You can also add pumping sessions after your nursing sessions. This can help you in increasing your milk supply. Pumping is very important if your baby is not nursing enough. This will help you in increasing the demand quickly. Your aim is to remove milk from your breasts. You can also consider emptying your breasts. This will increase the demand and your body will think that it needs to produce more milk. It is one of the most effective methods to increase your milk supply.
You should first confirm that you are actually suffering from a low milk supply. If your baby is not gaining enough weight, then this can show that your baby is getting less milk. In this case, you should focus on increasing your milk supply. You can increase the demand for achieving this.
Passionate Writer, Blogger and Amazon Affiliate Expert since 2014.