The packaging industry has been revolutionized and the brands are trying their level best to create the most amazing packaging solutions. This is because they have understood the importance of creating a competitive edge through packaging. However, creating such high-end custom packaging boxes demand everyone to follow the correct designing process. With this article, we are sharing the designing process for creating competitive packaging boxes. So, let’s check out the details!
Understanding The Packaging Layers
When it comes down to the packaging boxes, there are different layers in the product packaging, known as exterior packaging, product packaging, and inner packaging. The products are designed to need either one or all three packaging layers. In the section below, we are sharing information about these three packaging layers, such as;
- Outer packaging – this is the first thing that your customer will be checking out. The outer packaging is known to protect the products from the exterior environment and elements. The outer packaging generally includes the box that’s used for shipping the products or the packaging that a product is added to for storing on the store’s shelf
- Inner packaging – this is the packaging that allows the brands to keep the products safely in the exterior packaging. The inner packaging is generally known as tissue paper or packing peanuts that ensure that the products aren’t scuffed or jostled. In addition to the tissue paper or packing peanuts, inner packaging also includes the sealing bags that help preserve the freshness of the products
- Product packaging – the is what you know packaging is. This is the ultimate packaging that the product is sold in. In addition, the bottle with the label, candy bar’s wrapper, and garment’s tags; all are known as product packaging. Keep in mind that all the packaging layers allow the brands to stream the brand story
Choosing The Correct Packaging Type
The market is loaded with various types of packaging for different products. Sure, you can easily make a choice between the bottle and box since it’s extremely easy. However, there are certain things that need to be thought about before choosing the packaging. In the section below, we are talking about the different considerations, such as;
- Product – it doesn’t matter how much you try to avoid it; the packaging decision will always depend on the product. In case you are selling liquid products, there might be limited packaging options but it shouldn’t hinder the creativity.
- Competition – is every competing brand using the same box for soap? Is your competition using the same brown can as yours? Well, this will result in identification issues and you won’t be able to create a competitive edge. That being said, you must use the unique packaging to ensure that it stands out in the crowd and it keeps fighting the battle
- Budget – it doesn’t matter how much you try to ignore this issue but you cannot neglect the budget. This is because budget plays an essential role in choosing the right packaging box according to your budget
Lining Up The Printer
Printing is not a factor that adds up until the design is complete. However, you need to make a decision regarding printing before you hit that phase. This is because when you connect with the printer, it will help you determine the exact printing costs. In addition, it helps provide on-point information that helps prepare the files. When it comes down to printing, you need to consider the following points;
- Dielines – if you are going to opt for the standard label or standard box size, the printer must have the correct dieline template that’s shareable with the designers
- Requirements of file formats – the printers do need the vector file but should it be the layered file? Should you add cut lines? The designer should be able to provide print-ready files, such as EPS, PDF, PSD, or. AI file. Keep in mind that you might not be able to open the file but the printer will be able to. In addition, the designer should provide the visual mockups in JPG or PNG format. So, ensure that you are aware of the file types
- Colors – some printers have the capacity to color-match the Pantone colors while some of them have only limited color options (the color options are limited with low-cost printers)
- Offset vs. digital printing – it depends on the type of printer that you are using. With offset printing, you have to consider the minimum order number and the scale costs
Developing The Information Architecture
With the above-mentioned factors, you will be able to know who is buying the products and how will they find about the products. Keep in mind that you need those information points for creating the information architecture on the packaging. Generally, you should add attractive graphics and an alluring tagline to appeal to the customers.