Tips To Selecting Good Cat Breeds For A Pet
Cats are arguably second in the list of man’s best friends. As Charles Dickens would put it, what greater gift than the love of a cat? People’s love for cats is evidenced by how many live in households and neighborhoods. Statistics estimate that over 50 million domestic cats are living in the US alone.
The domestic cat is scientifically called Felis catus. Different registries document the existence of different numbers of breeds the animal. However, none of them lists a number less than 40. On the other hand, some of them are as high as over 70. You can also read the various cat breeds guide available online.
So what is a breed?
Simply put, a breed is a group of animals within a species. Members of the strain are similar in appearance and characteristics. The features make them distinguishable from other animals within the same species.
Factors distinguishing breeds
Certain features determine the type of strain an animal- cat in this case- belongs to.
The first factor is physical appearance. Cats of the same breed have similar physical characteristics. These features are unique to the breed and distinguish it from others. Some physical factors include the size and amount of fur or lack thereof. The Bambino and Donskoy cat breeds are perfect examples of hairless felines.
Another crucial factor is the activity level. Felines of the same strain are similar in behavior. Some are highly active. Others, on the other hand, are less active physically and prefer to lie around. Highly active breeds thus require more physical exercise. In addition, they need slightly more attention as you engage in play with them.
Felines of the same group also tend to have a similar lifespan. Generally, the lifespan of indoor cats is between 13 and 17 years. However, some types have a pretty short lifespan while others are longer. Some live for as little as only two years, while Persian cats can last up to 17 years. See this link to know how to tell your cat’s breed https://www.thesprucepets.com/is-cat-purebred-554272
What you should consider when selecting a suitable cat breed
With the large numbers of types globally, choosing the strain can be quite tasking. However, here are some of the things to look at so the process will be easier:
- As much as there are many stocks to choose from, they are in different geographical locations. It is essential to think local when it comes to domestic pets. What are the most common types available in your area? You can easily find out this information from mere observation of those owned by pet owners near you. If that is not possible, a visit to your local vet or animal shelter will be of help. You may also do a quick online search.
- Some lines are more predisposed to specific ailments than others. If you’re not up to the task of more vaccines or regular checkups, such breeds are not for you. A great way to find out about the health status of different cat types is a direct conversation with a vet.
- Maintaining a domestic pet can be pretty tasking financially. Recognizing this is great as it helps owners plan ahead. Some types are cheaper to maintain than others. Initially, you might incur a cost to acquire the pet. Some breeds are more costly than others. When it comes to maintenance, the same principle applies. Some of the other ranging costs you may incur are costs on food, grooming supplies, vet, and healthcare supplies.
- Do you like big or small-sized animals? Some cat breeds come in smaller sizes, while others are large. It would be best if you considered the size in addition to other factors before you make your choice.
- Temperament means behavior. Some cats are very active, while others are the complete opposite. Do you want a relaxed animal? Do you want one that is constantly napping? It is important to pick an animal that matches your temperament; otherwise, you might end up either bored or too overwhelmed.
- Home environment. Your living situation also directly affects the kind of feline you can keep. For example, if your house space is small, having a playful cat may be inconvenient. Also, if you live with someone allergic to fur, a very furry feline isn’t such a great idea.
- Basic care needs. Your pet will need food, water, grooming and exercise. Some types require more intense or frequent maintenance than others. Meeting the needs involves time, money and energy. As such, it would help to have a pet that precisely aligns with what you can offer. Click here to read more.
Understanding the breed within which a feline lies offers numerous benefits. For example, you get to know all that you expect in terms of general behavior and activity. As such, you can prepare yourself psychologically. The knowledge is also beneficial because you know exactly what to do and how to handle the animal better especially, health-wise. In addition, understanding breeds are helpful when it comes to financial planning for health. You know precisely the type and amount of feeding, healthcare, and grooming expenses.
Cats are among the top favorite household pets. The animals come in tens of different breeds, which are distinguishable by both physical and behavioral characteristics. Although some are similar and cut across the different types, the features are highly unique for some kinds. Having this knowledge is really of immense help. It is not only great in the financial and economic planning, but also health planning for pet ownership.
Passionate Writer, Blogger and Amazon Affiliate Expert since 2014.