A truck driver in the USA is not just a job but a lifestyle. Today, truck drivers are an integral part of American roads. This type of activity requires special qualities from a person, in addition to physical strength and health. Endurance, the ability to make a decision in a critical situation, and responsibility are a must.
If you feel that you are ready to become a truck driver in America, then first you need to get a license. It is licensed truck driving school spokane that can help you in this business. This review provides recommendations on how to become a truck driver in the USA.
How to Get a Job as a Truck Driver in the USA?
To become a trucker in the USA, you need to get a Class A CDL. Let’s take a detailed, step-by-step look at what you need to do to get a Class A CDL.
Preparation of Documents
- Medical commission – you must provide a certificate (document) on the absence of medical contraindications for working as a truck driver;
- SSN (social security number) – it is issued once and for all, upon arrival in the United States, if you have a legal status and a work permit in the country;
- Driver’s license – You must have a driver’s license. If you have driven a car in a foreign country, then in the United States, you need to get an American-style driver’s license.
With these documents, you apply to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) of your state for permission to study and then pass the theory.
This test involves taking three tests on a computer at your state DMV office (General knowledge, Combination vehicle, Air brake). The theoretical part of the exam can be taken on different days, separately. To prepare for the theoretical test, you can use the free materials on the official DMV website for your state.
Upon successful completion of the above three tests (theory), you will receive a CLP (Commercial Learner’s Permit). This is a license to drive a truck in the presence of a driver (instructor) who has a CDL Class A license.
At this stage, you have a choice either to take the road test yourself or to find a CDL school. Keep in mind that US truck drivers are accepted to the school only if you have a CLP (permit). The practical part of the exam consists of three parts:
- Pre-trip inspection – checking the car before the trip;
- Basic control skills test – a base for transport management;
- On-road driving test – driving directly on the road.
You hand over each part strictly sequentially. Materials for preparing for the first part of the practice, you can take from the DMV (on your own), or the teacher of the school will provide you with special material. After successfully passing the practical part of the exam, you will need to visit the DMV office to obtain a commercial license.
How to Find a Job as a Trucker in the USA after Obtaining a CDL License?
In fact, starting a trucker career in America is not a difficult process. There are many ads on the Internet from logistics companies in need of truckers. If you are trained at a truck driver school, then there is an opportunity to get a job since some CDL schools have agreements with companies for the further employment of their graduates. As a rule, immediately after getting a job, a beginner is given two weeks for an internship. It is necessary for you to get used to the procedures that exist within the company.
How Much Does a Trucker Earn in the USA?
During the internship period, a novice will ride with an experienced driver and get about $500 per week. However, there is no fixed fee. The wage depends on several factors:
- Driving experience – A beginner gets 50-60 cents per mile on average;
- Trucker criteria – A driver with one’s own transport and permanent employment can earn an average of 180 thousand dollars a year or more;
- The level of danger of the cargo – For those truckers who transport chemical, explosive, oversized cargo, the payment will be higher. As a rule, such truck drivers have their own routes and special instructions.
In conclusion of this review, it is worth noting that despite the fact that the work of a trucker promises a high and stable income, it should be understood that this profession requires certain criteria to be met. Being a truck driver is a difficult job. Therefore, this profession is intended for true enthusiasts of this business.
Passionate Writer, Blogger and Amazon Affiliate Expert since 2014.